Sunday, June 2, 2013

June Book Reads

It's sickening sometimes to realize just how much I read and then I am disheartened other nights when I realize that I don't read nearly enough. This is the crux of my brain half the time. Apply the “I do too much” vs the “I don't do enough” syndrome to any subject and you have my opinion on my life down pretty pat (Is pretty pat even a saying...? Now it is.).

I do honestly try to read as much as I can and I do enjoy mixing up my books a bit to include classics and works of fiction that indulge in my sometimes overactive fantasy geared brain. I like the idea of reaching goals and I love the feeling that I get when I finish a novel. I also hate the feeling I get when I finished a really good novel and can't move on after that.

(Credited to: http://www.epicreads.com/blog/15-undeniable-truths-about-book-nerds/)

Seriously. This is a problem.

So far, for June, I have a few little books picked out to try and swim through with the hopes of discovering something noteworthy. So far, these are the ones that I know I will read just because once I finish them, it'll give me an excuse to buy more.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
By Lewis Carroll (as if you needed clarification)


I don't know how I haven't read this yet. I love my fairy tales. I love them to unhealthy extents. But, somehow Alice has eluded me. I never really watched the Disney movie growing up and I have yet to see the Tim Burton adaptation (is it any good? People are having some strange opinions on it I'm noticing). I didn't even know there were two versions of this book. Thankfully, I own a copy that has both. It also came to my attention the other night that there is an Alice debate out there where some people believe that there is a pure form of this classic and adaptations should stick to it and others are holding up a silent middle finger to said purists. I don't land on either side, but I'm curious to see what all that is about. Either way, I'm about fifty pages in to this tale and am enjoying it. Though, I mock all you people that say this was drug induced... More on that when I finish.

Review Now Uphttp://papertales4u.blogspot.com/2013/06/wonderland-six-impossible-things-before.html

The Map of Time
By Felix J. Palma


I picked this book up at Powell's on a whim. I knew next to nothing about it other than the fact that it's been popping up on my goodreads account (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7341304-dana) like crazy. Being someone who does not read summaries (I tend to skim) I have to say that I was thrown off guard when I started reading it. As of right now, the narrator breaks the fourth wall relentlessly, jumps through time lines like a little jumping bean (I probably could find a better analogy but that one makes me laugh) and the characters have decided to go to H.G Well's in hopes that he can send them back in time to stop Jack the Ripper.

Let that sink in.

I'll let you know how I feel about the book when I'm finished but so far it has left me standing on uncertain ground.

Review Now Uphttp://papertales4u.blogspot.com/2013/06/book-review-map-of-time.html

The Annotated Peter Pan
By J.M Barrie


I'm giving you a fair warning now. I love Peter Pan to a sometimes terrifying extent. I won't go too much into that now because I know there will eventually be a blog about my adoration for this twisted little tale but know that you will see references to Pan and the Lost Boy's numerous times.

The Annotated Peter Pan is another one of my buys at Powell's. Not only does it have the story but has the history of the play itself and a biography on the author. It goes in depth on the behind the scenes of this beloved book and attempts to explain the phenomenon surrounding it. If you like biographies, I would suggest it. Again, I'm not done with it, but so far, so good.

Imaginary Companions and the Children Who Create Them
By Marjorie Taylor

Imaginary friends is a topic that I am fascinated with. The idea that all these children all around the world can create something so similar is mind blowing. These little creations are a sign of creativity and a sign of learning. Up until recently, however, we considered the idea of a child having one, to be some what worrisome.

Marjorie Taylor is a professor who specializes in children and their imaginary friends. She conducted studies on whether or not it was dangerous for a child to create such a thing and dives into the reasons as to why some children have these invisible friends, and some do not. I'm keen on reading what she has to say not just because this is a topic that I have a particular interest in but because I was blessed to be one of her students at The University of Oregon when I was freshman and really enjoyed her class.
The Torchwood Archives
By Gary Russell

Don't even start with me. I'm a nerd and need to work through some Torchwood grief.

Review now uphttp://papertales4u.blogspot.com/2013/06/torchwood-top-secret.html

The Screwtape Letters
By C.S Lewis

Um... didn't Lewis write magical children's tales about going through a wardrobe? Here I was naively thinking that that was it but apparently, he also wrote about demons. The Screwtape Letters is a series of letters passed back and forth between a demon and his nephew. I know nothing else about the book but this and somehow, that is enough to go out and buy it immediately.

Review Now Up: http://papertales4u.blogspot.com/2013/07/screwtape-letters-by-cs-lewis.html

I'm sure that the June reading list will grow as I either finish books too quickly, or have the urge to “browse” the local bookstore. As always, I'm looking for new books and would love to hear your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment